Re: (TV) Strats

Yeah, except for Keith Richards, Telecaster Deluxes and Customs
remained unloved for decades, probably because of how the extremely
heavy body and odd pickups gave them such an unusual sound (as one
website described it "a regular tele goes 'briiiiingg"; a tele deluxe
or custom goes "braaaaangg" ").   It also didn't help that these
guitars were introduced in the 70s, when CBS / Fender made the dubious
decision to reduce the number of bolts holding the neck to body from
four to three.

As a result, for a long time you could get an original 70's era Tele
Deluxe or Custom for quite cheap, like under $400. Predictably, poor
young musicians scarfed them up (the Radiohead guy being one of them),
which started driving up the price;  and later on, the odd humbuckers
Fender briefly manufactured for the Tele Deluxe and Custom became
sought after items in themselves.  So now, an original Tele Deluxe or
Custom goes for >$2k -- way more than I'd ever pay for one, that's for
sure.

Gosh, this sounds oddly similar to how the Jazzmaster got popular.

-A