Re: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

Keith  Levene!

Let us not forget Fred Frith, JJ Cale and Glenn Branca.

I have to say, if the distinction is an immediately identifiable sound
rather than mastery / versatility, then on my list. Richard Thompson
and Richard Lloyd would fall into the latter category.

Not to take away from their accomplishment.  They are just more
chameleon-like then, say, a Robert Fripp.  (Come to think of it, this
may be a testament to the limitations of the players on the A list.)
To be fair, Jeff Beck really belongs in the latter category as well;
I mention him only because of that early slashing style he pioneered
(and unfortunately abandoned) with the Jeff Beck Group.

For similar reasons, if we are talking distinctive, one might as well
go ahead and mention Steve Vai and Joe Satriani.   I detest that sort
of wankery, but it is certainly distinctive (though honestly, I cannot
tell them apart).

-A