Re: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

snakefinger

On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Iqigo wrote:

John Lee Hocker
Keith Richard
thanks to remind me: Jhonny Marr, Roger McGuinn, Roy Buchanan

2009/3/11 Graham Urquhart <gurquhart@madasafish.com>

For me the Morrissey/Marr relationship is a bit akin to Tom/ Richard. That creation of something much bigger than the sum of parts which never quite attains the same starry heights on the solo projects. I can't think off
the
top of my head anything 'standout' by Marr or Morrissey post the Smiths and yet for me the first Smiths album in particular is a fully formed gem and seemed to arrive from nowhere when first released. Similarly as I can't imagine Television without Fred and Billy, The Smiths rythym section was equally a major defining element of the sound. I think Marr had a very
distinctive guitar sound within the Smiths but as Rex? mentioned his
playing
and tonal versatility means that I wouldn't necessarily recognise him on
other peoples records.

andy fekete wrote:

I'm with Rex on this one. Morrissey somehow just never did it for me.