From: andy fekete <andy.fekete@gmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Tue, December 15, 2009 4:28:37 AM
Subject: Re: (TV) 4th Album

"...it seems Lloyd plays in positions more often and Verlaine moves along
the neck more..."

That is a very astute observation;  I would also add that Lloyd showed
somewhat more affinity towards standard pentatonic blues/rock styling, which
he (mostly) kept in check when playing with Television, while Verlaine seems
not to have a single blues bone in his entire body.

And yet, both mined the same mixolydian and dorian mode vein, unadorned
sound and edgy, aggressive playing that over time defined the sound
associated with Television.  You know it when you hear it -- and yet it is
difficult to think of any band that can pull it off that sound...
Significantly, the nearest approximations seem to be some of Verlaine's solo
work, especially his live stuff, and a few early live recordings of Lloyd's
(while Lloyd's more recent Hendrix-inspired stuff is certainly energetic and
heartfelt, it doesn't come close to sounding like Television).

It's sort of like a Lennon / McCartney thing:  each brought something
distinct to the whole, and egged the other on, to create something entirely
new;  and when the whole ultimately split up, one continued to be able to
sound more or less like the whole, at least when he wanted to (don't laugh
-- you have to see McCartney's latest tour to understand the full meaning of
what I am saying here), while the other either would not or could not do so.

So, my feeling is that while Television could never have developed its
unique sound without Lloyd, Lloyd is clearly determined to move on
stylistically.  And since Verlaine's work as a solo artist has been more
consistently close to the original sound, it seems reasonable to assume
Verlaine will be able to carry the band.

Especially with Jimmy Rip on board.  Ever hear a decent recording of that
last show, at Central Park?   Granted, it's not Verlaine/Lloyd, but my god,
Verlaine and Rip tear it the f*ck up quite convincingly.

I have to say, I'd happily pay to see that.  Multiple times.

-A