Re: (TV) OT: Luna & Dean Wareham & Voices & Biographies

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Maurice Rickard <maurice@me.com> wrote:

> On May 1, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Rex Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I spent more than a year recently listening to *absolutely nothing but
> The
> > Fall*.
>
> What's blown my mind about this in the past is you're not the only person I
> know who's done it. In another internet venue I was referencing that a
> friend (you) had done it, and someone else posted "that would be me."

There's something very particular to the band which invites it.  I think
that part of it is the depth of the catalog: with most artists you'd have to
pad your listening with a lot of bootlegs in order to not get bored.  And at
the same time, they don't really have big periods of total crap.  I mean,
they have some not-great albums, but those albums aren't bad due to
overproduction or ill-advised commercially calculated moves, or
self-conscious trend-hopping followed by attempts to "return to form".  The
"bad" ones tend to be bad in interestingly fucked-up ways.  It's... umm...
hard to explain.