Re: (TV) Re: lunkhead, etc.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM, postitnote <postitnote@sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Naw, I wasn't offended anyway, I didn't take it very seriously.
>
> I see hear that Richard Thompson is very popular here.  I'm not very
> familiar
> w/ him, I've only looked at a couple of YouTubes of him so far.

Thompson has a dense back catalog and it's daunting, but a lot of us here
who obsess (just a bit) about Tom's guitar playing consider RT to be one of
the closest soloists to Tom in terms of style, melodic choices, etc... his
playing just has a similar "vibe", in addition to which it's just totally
great.  He's also a great songwriter.

I'm pretty sure Tom has at one time or another acted like he's not that
familiar with RT, and I'm pretty sure most of us classify that as Tom being
Tom (i.e. not entirely honest at all times).

Mekons, X-Ray Spex, and a lot of what's often called "post-punk" music (here
we go with genre labels again, but I'm thinking of Gang of Four, PIL,
Magazine, Slits, etc.) have some pretty ardent devotees around here.  I
think the last spurt of list activity before this one was set off by the
death of Ari Upp.

-Rex