Re: (TV) Re: lunkhead, etc.

Some TV fans seem to dig RT a lot, while other lunkheads - I mean, list members
 =8^)=  - don't much care for him.

I think a lot of the difference has to do with the "angle" you approach RT from.
RT is similar to TV in an avoidance of blues-based music - "modal" is the word I
hear a lot; a concern with attack, a similar approach to tone (a rather dry
sound, few effects, etc. - the musos and gearheads here will have better
descriptions), and an avoidance of guitar heroics for heroics' sake, though when
the song calls for it RT will blow the roof off - in that way he's a little more
like Richard. (Richard once told me that he only heard RT after he'd already
formed his own sound, but that once he did he heard a resemblance.)

But in terms of songwriting, they're very different. Tom's a romantic in a broad
sense of the word, kind of abstract and somedays psychedelic or surreal.
Richard, especially in more recent music, writes more concretely and
specifically, and often about very dark sides of human nature. That last part
often drives people away. But hear songs like "The Calvary Cross" for an
exception. RT often draws strongly from folk traditions.

And RT's a dazzling acoustic player, while Tom - not so much. (The one bit of
Richard's acoustic playing I saw was awful, but maybe it was a bad day.)

I think someone here should found a band called Lunk, as we already have a term
for its followers.

- Jesse