[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: (TV) Re: Important Correction from Richard Lloyd/Torn Curtain live
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: (TV) Re: Important Correction from Richard Lloyd/Torn Curtain live
- From: andy fekete <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:00:17 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=YpG7PfIk65TvzwlWM4VwKHkanIyPXdTRWiu6adkKvxg=; b=dJofXx8/2JYljBn0uL9FqBw8kkrPY+XA/9f7lcX1/zETPG2Pbc1mNIJMnkXQMGnHBs qZAt3m0PUs21R6RIgNG1uok/HCzeR0eVI2hy685Oab3bYbtWQ5qpgh0Rq1TCERlr58uE x3SHBLW3X9QCPvND35Fe1+LhCVd1uL6xLvaqY=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=gvJZwRJKBanUtUAHc+L9nkfVfVJhCbthlz0VlYdwMmD4OPc0yr5/DZdTBFr0Zd7WiO diVdCV815cAo+gU0wRHPDFUgiDYmE1f+QN3lEWN5vOfqqmMesl+zBoVHfg+FkDeGos63 FwR3Nct0R4VeSN3XmAQOovnBGqjr5l7zPK32k=
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
After rehearsing the Torn Curtain over and over for literally months and
playing it live a dozen times (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_aksYOMQ4),
I've come to the conclusion that even given our limitations as musicians, TC
is a particularly challenging tune to play live, especially if you try to
remain faithful to the tone and arrangement of the original LP version.
It's not that the tune is technically difficult -- we could deal with that.
It's just that in a live setting, overly long and dreary arrangement is a
buzz-kill for all but the most die-hard fans.
In the few live Television recordings I've heard of Torn Curtain, it sounded
to me like the band was tinkering with the feel of the song, trying to
increase its live appeal. One of the more successful live versions I heard
sounded almost metal. It was quite good, though distinctly different from
the LP version.
On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM, postitnote <firstname.lastname@example.org>wrote:
> Hey all,
> I was browsing through the archives when I hit on this super interesting
> which had a letter in it to Leo from Richard Lloyd. It was Richard telling
> the correct story of how the cover pic of MM was chosen. That is so cool
> read that and so very nice of Richard to take the time to write out the
> details and all. And very good of Leo to ask him about it. It really
> makes a
> great story. I wonder if he's still working on him memoirs...
> And I asked earlier about live versions of Torn Curtain and so far I see it
> was played quite a few times in '76 but I don't see any live recordings of
> past that time...but there could be.
> Thanks everyone for this being such a good source of info.
> To post: Mail email@example.com
> To unsubscribe: Mail firstname.lastname@example.org with message "unsubscribe tv"
To post: Mail email@example.com
To unsubscribe: Mail firstname.lastname@example.org with message "unsubscribe tv"