Re: (TV) Richard Lloyd's Facebook Comments on The New Television Track

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Steve Rovner <serovner@mindspring.com>wrote:

> I should have clarified my comment.  Posting something like that in public
> could definitely be seen as not cool.  I'm used to Richard speaking his mind
> in a blunt manner.  I admire him because ever since he left Television he
> has been extremely productive with albums, etc.  Richard's comment about
> Tom's noodling echoes the comments I made when I saw the youtube video of
> Tom performing not so long ago at some place in Brooklyn.  The guy is
> completely wasting his talent, in my view (which I know not everyone on this
> list agrees with).

I actually do pretty much agree with that.  Which is why, if I were
Richard-- and I most emphatically am not!-- and I was proud of the track I'd
contributed to the compilation and thought my former bandmates' stuff was
embarrassingly weak, I'd just hype the album and let the tracks speak for
themselves.  Then you might hear a lot of comments like, "Richard's the only
former Television guy producing any noteworthy work", instead of "The bitter
infighting between former Television members escalates".

Richard's comments when he split with the band were pretty decent (if a
little disingenuous in places); he didn't sugarcoat anything, but he didn't
really slag anyone at length.  I mean,  he's obviously no fan of Tom's and
that's fine, but somehow it's a lot more palatable when he expresses it in a
more general way... somehow the specific slagging of these recordings sounds
more bitter and petty (the lyrics bit in, and dragging the rhythm section
into it in particular).