Re: Some Answers On Rip(p) / RE: (TV) How good a guitarist is Jimmy Rip?

The first time I found a non-TV related Ripp credit was on an album (or I
guess it turns out to be an EP) by The Beat, who for a long time I only knew
as the American band that caused the English Beat to have to be called The
English Beat.  Eventually I got to know their music by reputation as Paul
Collins' band and I do have a copy of their self-titled record (no Jimmy on
there).  Just found a little bit about that particular phase of the band
with Jimmy (and Jay Dee!)  from Wiki:

With an overhauled New York City line-up (Conway and Whitman were replaced
> by Patti Smith <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_Smith> drummer Jay Dee
> Daugherty <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Dee_Daugherty> and Television<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_(band)>
> /Tom Verlaine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Verlaine> guitarist Jimmy
> Ripp <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Ripp>), the group reclaimed the
> name "The Beat" and released the 5 song 12" Mini-Album To Beat or Not To
> Beat in 1983 on the independent Jem/Passport label in the U.S.. One song
> from the album, "Dance, Dance", was made into a music video in 1984 and
> received limited exposure on MTV. To Beat or Not To Beat, with an additional
> song, was released in Europe where the group relocated (and would remain for
> the next several years) to promote the release and tour.

Interestingly there and in several other places in the Wiki article on Paul
Collins' Beat, Jimmy is referred to as "future Television guitarist", so
somebody has been paying attention.