Re: 'Low' / RE: (TV) Oh fuck! David Bowie R.I.P.

>Bowie's final statement is far more orchestrated as a cultural moment

Maurice, that’s exactly what I’ve been thinking,
especially now that I’ve given “Blackstar” a
closer listen and read today's NYTimes piece (http://nyti.ms/1TR4oLZ
<http://nyti.ms/1TR4oLZ>). He orchestrated his leaving as a pop
happening but in such a way that we wouldn’t realize it until
after the fact. Which is pretty fucking brilliant. There’s a
shortlist of artists who’ve made final works knowing they were
dying: Warren Zevon, Robert Altman with “Prairie Home
Companion” (which, believe me, is a movie about death), John
Huston’s “The Dead,” Derek Jarman’s
“Blue.” Bowie joins them.

T.

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 10:21 AM, Maurice Rickard <maurice@me.com> wrote:
>
> The working-to-the-end part reminds me of something that happened a
few
> years ago, in another community I'm part of. A musician had received a

> terminal diagnosis, and wanted to work on his last record.  Steve
Albini