RE: Hell & Women / F Hopeless!

Glen wrote:

>Curious to know, in what way is he hopeless?

I think why some [a lot?] of us feel that Verlaine is “hopeless” is because he’s lazy and has been playing just about the same exact live Television set since early 2014 – 2019. It’s always limited to most of the songs from the album Marquee Moon + ‘1880 Or So’ , ‘Persia’ , and an encore of ‘I’m Gonna Find You’ or/and ‘Psychotic Reaction’. Yes, these are great songs, but his guitar playing has been desultory, by-the-numbers, and pretty much lacking in much passion

Yes, if he never released another song, his reputation is secure.

He is truly one of the greatest electric-guitar players of all time (IMHO he is the greatest : > ) ). He is an imaginative, wondeful  song-writer , a true musical genius (and a complete ‘odd-ball’), but he’s also incredibly lazy and since 2014 have been pretty much just a Marquee Moon-album “greatest hits” Tours------ purely money making ventures, where he pretty much goes through the motions.

Gregg, for Gods-sake  he has not released a new album since 2008! There  is a “new” Television album that has been done (still missing vocals) back from when Richard Lloyd was still in the band!  I think the reasons for T.V. not finishing/releasing the new album material are two-fold:

1) he’s too lazy to record the needed vocals [go to Jimmy Rip’s web-page where Rip pretty much says just that]! ;

and 2) T.V. knows the quality of the “new” material is weak (with 2 exceptions: ‘Persia’ and ‘The Sea’ [sometimes wrongly called ‘Sapphire’], albeit, if I never heard ‘Persia’ again it would be too soon.

I have been a fan of his music since 1977, and since 1981 I have attended a total of 28 Television [or Tom Verlaine Band ]shows in Boston and NYC  (including one Solo Acoustic show, and one live ‘Music For Film’ show).  The last Television show I attended was at Boston’s Wilbur Theater in October 2015.

But I will not go to another one of his [Television’s]  shows again.

They are so predictable, uninspired [dare I say it, ‘dull’!).  Not unless  he starts adding songs to the set-list from the album Adventure (or the 1991 album Television III), or even from his instrumental albums (or even a cover-song [ besides ‘Psychotic Reaction’]).

I cannot take one more performance of  ‘I’m Gonna Find You’, or another run-of-the -mill “1880 Or So” where Rip does not shine. “Please give me the night/ I can't take another sight / Please give me the night.”

Leo