Re: (TV) Scenes

At 8:08 AM -0500 7/16/01, Ken Thompsen wrote:
Do you have anything going on in your respective towns as far as art and
music goes (I ask all of you New Yorkers and Brits as well)?

Pittsburgh's kind of odd, in that there are a lot of people doing different things, but...there are these little sub-scenes that don't seem to interact much with each other. It seemed to me that there was more of an "indie rock" scene in the early-mid '90s, but we lost musicians to other cities (some of the most attractive low-rent housing was bought and demolished, or turned into yuppie condos) and this city's particular musical scourge, Library and Information Science. (For example, Don Caballero lost _two_ members to LIS, and...was it Hurl who lost someone to it, also? Pittsburgh's equivalent to Seattle's heroin, I swear.) We also just lost a major venue for smaller shows, which would book both local and national acts.

Since then, the scene seems to have fragmented. There's some hippy jam-band stuff, ethereal electronic stuff, old-school punk, alt country, rootsy stuff, free noise, improv, jazz...and I'm just thinking of genres I have friends in. (Full disclosure--I've been doing glitch/noise improv lately.) Off the top of my head, there's the goth scene and the rave scene also. But it doesn't seem like there's any one core of people constituting one overarching scene.

Sam, help me out here--think there's anything to this, or am I just missing the big picture?

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/