Re: (TV) Scenes

on 7/16/01 9:54 AM, esgregory at esgregory@qwest.net wrote:

> hey ken (& all),
> here in portland oregon, there's a thriving & abundant indie scene...& it's
> not as competitive as it appears when you realize how many goddamn
> indie/rock/whatever bands are jockeying for attention...it's a pretty
> insular scene (cepting the big names like everclear, dandy warhols,
> sleater-kinney, elliott smith....), so lotsa the music doesn't get much
> further than the northwest, tho amidst all the usual elliott copycats, indie
> genericons, pavement tossoffs (oh yeah, malkmus lives here too), there's
> some neat shit happening. (& dead moon are the all-time kings of this
> scene...check em out one & all)...
> as for my own thing, i've been meaning to get a link to some mp3s from my
> band's upcoming debut cd on this list for some time & due to little to no
> computer time/access, fear of seeming an exhibitionist/etc., i haven't.
> but now you've given me the excuse & opportunity, so...
> there's an mp3 page at
> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/268/crack_city_rockers.html
> & the band's homepage is
> http://www.geocities.com/crackcity_2000/CCRfrontpg.html
>
> we're called the crack city rockers & we've been oft compared to tv, tho
> we're a lot more ummm..."visceral", let's say...than verlaine et al....
> perhaps more on the hell-era end of things.
> it's certainly been informed by nyc artists a la VU, patti, hell as well as
> slight touches of glam a la bolan, bowie, roxy...
> indulge at yr own inclination(s) & if anybody's interested in more, lemme
> know...
> i appreciate the air time....

Yea, I've heard a little about Portland.
(I'm downloading Hunger at this moment, by the way) I like Elliot Smith, and
Malkmus/Pavement is pretty cool (mainly for the writing), but I'm defintely
not into those other cats...Sorry that I haven't heard of Dead Moon
though...I'll check them out as soon as can (After I listen to some of your
songs...) Wait, it's playing....Hmmm, I like it. Is that you singing? Kind
of sounds like a chilled out Roky Erikson...Cool. Tell you what, instead of
downloading another by chance, give me the title of a harder song (just to
even it out)...If I like, you can count me in to purchase the album.