Re: (TV) Scenes

on 7/16/01 10:58 AM, Maurice Rickard at maurice@mac.com wrote:

> At 8:08 AM -0500 7/16/01, Ken Thompsen wrote:
>> Do you have anything going on in your respective towns as far as art and
>> music goes (I ask all of you New Yorkers and Brits as well)?
>
> Pittsburgh's kind of odd, in that there are a lot of people doing
> different things, but...there are these little sub-scenes that don't
> seem to interact much with each other.  It seemed to me that there
> was more of an "indie rock" scene in the early-mid '90s, but we lost
> musicians to other cities (some of the most attractive low-rent
> housing was bought and demolished, or turned into yuppie condos) and
> this city's particular musical scourge, Library and Information
> Science.  (For example, Don Caballero lost _two_ members to LIS,
> and...was it Hurl who lost someone to it, also?  Pittsburgh's
> equivalent to Seattle's heroin, I swear.)  We also just lost a major
> venue for smaller shows, which would book both local and national
> acts.
>
> Since then, the scene seems to have fragmented.  There's some hippy
> jam-band stuff, ethereal electronic stuff, old-school punk, alt
> country, rootsy stuff, free noise, improv, jazz...and I'm just
> thinking of genres I have friends in.  (Full disclosure--I've been
> doing glitch/noise improv lately.)   Off the top of my head, there's
> the goth scene and the rave scene also.  But it doesn't seem like
> there's any one core of people constituting one overarching scene.
>
> Sam, help me out here--think there's anything to this, or am I just
> missing the big picture?

Well, you sound better off than me. Tell me, is Pittsburgh as really as
dusky and metallic (industrial) as it is portrayed?
Sidenote:
I'll try not to paint such a bad picture of Texas this time, because it does
have it's cool elements. Austin particularly. I guess alt country still
kicks around here. Garage rock, et. al. As for San Antonio, the Butthole
Surfers and the Fearless Iranians from Hell emerged not too far from my
house. They are practically gone now. The Surfers died of Rock Stardom and
the singer of FIH converted to Rastafarianism. Lots of cool bands in the
60's (Well, I guess that goes for just about anywhere). But I guess my point
is that Texas has lost it's mojo...If I could revive it single-handedly, I
would...but I think having something already going on is important, and
there aren't many artists that have created an entire movement all by
themselves.

Anyway, my question pertains not only to what music you guys are digging,
but theatre, poetry, etc..

And maybe if I should just pack my bags and burn. Whatever you offer, I
appreciate all the answers...