(TV) The 60s

In message <20010728002942.74765.qmail@web11005.mail.yahoo.com>, Philip
P. Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> writes

>Isn't this a Television list? I'd argue that Television was more influence by
>sixties pop records taken to their logical conclusion than by the VU.

Absolutely correct! There's a lot more Beatles/Stones in Richards's
playing than VU, for example. In fact, in one of the recent interviews
on "Matters", someone asks what he's listening to at the moment and
it's... "Revolver"

I have absolutely no factual basis for saying this but I would have
guessed that, back in '75, Verlaine and Lloyd regarded Lou Reed as,
maybe, an equal, rather than a master of anything (especially when he
was stumbling around in a daze trying to record their gigs on a little
tape recorder which, he claimed, didn't have any batteries in it).

I don't want to get back into a "Lou Reed - what a shit!" argument but
Cale's "What's Welsh for Zen" has some things to say about Reed which
would suggest that he's a deeply unpleasant, mean-spirited little man
who was incredibly offensive, for example, to Mo Tucker.

Yesterday, we were listening to "Coney Island Baby" - what a poor piece
of crap it is, too. Then we listened to "Blue Mask" and it was, of
course, sublime. There you go, that's old Lou for you.