(TV) Sweet Music to my ears

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk>
> Greg, are you saying these _aren't_ poetry?!
>
> (you forgot "Love is like oxygen/you get too much it gets you high/you
> don't get enough, you're gonna die" )

>.... (I'm going put on a limb here) they were the English
> equivalent of the Dolls. Not in any musical sense, but in the fact that
> they looked like the last guys in the world who should have been wearing
> make-up. In true English style, of course, their ultimate destruction
> came from alcohol rather than heroin but I'd rather lose any Richard
> Hell record I have than my original 45s of "Ballroom Blitz" and
> "Hellraiser" Ahhh... you had to be there.

i must say i'm still extremely fond of all those early Sweet singles myself
(and the Monkees too
for that matter) from "Blockbuster" even up to "Oxygen"- fantastic-sounding
edgy pop music from the last truly great pop era

interestingly the Sweet were never happy as a pop act and fancied themselves
more as a dragged up Led Zep- that is certainly borne out by the b-sides
which they wrote themselves- hysterically funny ,Tapesque attempts to
out-heavy the masters with even worse lyrics than the a-sides !

the real genius of Sweet of course was in the hitwriter/production team of
Chinn and Chapman who also did the wonderful Suzi Quatro records of the same
era amongst many others - Chapman would then also help Blondie to pop
success a few years later.

As a producer he's definitely up there with Mike Leander and yes even Phil
Spector.