Checkout 'Country Life' & Solo Albums / RE: (TV) Semi-OT: Finding a great record you've always just missed

I discovered Roxy Music/Ferry in 1974; saw them in Boston 197[MK I], 1976,
1979 [Mk III], 1981-2[?], 1985, 2002 [Mk IV].

If you like "Stranded" you should checkout "Country Life" (and 'Manifesto'),
and Ferry's solo albums (great cover of 'You Go To My Head' [by Dizzy
Gillespie] and several other gems.

"Stranded" is great but I think find 'Psalm' and 'Sunset' drag a bit, so it
get's 'only' an A.  'Country Life' is an A+ and Phil Manzanera's guitar
playing on 'Prairie Rose' and 'Casanova' is not to be believed.

Before I discovered Television/Verlaine I was a bonafide Roxy/Ferry fanatic.
(My yellowed, dog-eared collection of articles, interviews and reviews of
Roxy Music are surpassed in number only by my Television/Verlaine files.)

Keith wrote:
"...we were obsessed with Ferry (well, I was) and
whatever he did was fascinating. And Manzanera's great on it. And
Mackay. And, of course, the Great Paul Thompson.  **Hearing ....changed this
schoolboy's feelings about music forever. "

Yes!

"I held out until Siren and the disco crept in.
IMHO, 'Siren' is their absolute worst!  Although it does have the incredible
'Both Ends Burning'.  Guilty pleasure: I did fall in love with the album
"Boys and Girls" ('A Slave To Love').

"Still bought the damned records, though."
Yes!

Stay away from Ferry's late 80s-mid 90s albums, "Bete Noire" and
"Mamouna"---- both are dogs.

"As Time Goes BY" and "Frantic" are top notch.

Funny story regarding 'Country Life':  Back in 1970s' my mother was visiting
Scotland/Ireland/Great Britain so I asked her to buy me the 'Country Life'
LP as my copy was pressed in US, and UK pressings back then were much
superior to US vinyl pressings.

When she returned I saw that she had bought the UK 'Country Life' with the
banned cover which was later changed to a close-up of a pine trees.  My
mother who was very sensitive to nudity in the media nevertheless bought it
even though she told me she was totally mortified when she had to bring it
to the London store's cashier and pay for it.

Here's original album cover:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:d9fqxqy5ld6e

There's a commercial DVD of a show in Paris in late 1990 or early 00's that
is marred by horrible video direction.  The cameras/shots/editing keep
cutting to audience about every 20 secs.

I don't think any of the band's live albums does them justice. "Viva!" has
poor sound and mediocre song selection "High Road" is also disappointing.

The site Keith and I posted about has (had?) several live 1970s Ferry solo
concerts in NYC but I was very disappointed by them.
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

However, has anyone listened to this Roxy show yet?:
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=20050759|6125