Re: Quite a Statement / RE: (TV) OT: Luna & Dean Wareham

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:

> One of my dirty little rock secrets is that I have always really disliked
> Led Zeppelin.  It might be because they've been overplayed for my entire
> life (the "rock" station in RI still plays them at least once every 2
> hours), or it might be because Robert Plant's voice affects me like
> fingernails on a chalkboard or rubbing a balloon affects some people.

Oh, nice, yet another tangent!  As a teenager I loathed Zeppelin (and The
Doors, but that's another story) because they were overplayed, sounded kind
of like heavy metal (which I still don't really like) and thought they were
kind of dumb cock-rock (I never had much use for songs the point of which
was "Woman, I am going to fuck you very proficiently with my large penis for
a long period of time, just as soon as I get done yowling about how great
it's going to be for five minutes", and less for such songs dressed up in
pretentious wizard drag).  It was really only six or seven years ago that I
finally gave most of their catalog a proper listen and conceded that it has
value beyond that, and that some of it is quite enjoyable... the trick was
really considering it an extension of the much more palatable (to me)
Yardbirds aesthetic.

But I'll never be able to listen to "Stairway" all the way through and
remain lukewarm at best on stuff like "Livin' Lovin' Maid".  And it's far
too late for Zep to be part of my personal rock pantheon... I spent +/- 35
years avoiding them, so I just don't have the deep youthful connection to
them that I do with Television, the Velvets, H|sker D|, Neil Young, etc.,
and I'm okay with that.

-Rex