Re: (TV) Some Ominous News on Waterman's '33 1/3: MM' Approach

Natalie Merchant - what a perfect comparison! Although as with Meloy, there's a
personal memory that leavens my aesthetic dislike. Some of you might remember
that a friend of mine - a college roommate with whom I initially bonded over
music - died at the World Trade Center on 9/11. David and his wife had John
Hiatt's "Have a Little Faith in Me" as "their" song. We made an attempt to get
Hiatt to come sing it at the memorial service - worth trying, right? - but
Hiatt's management apologetically said that wasn't possible. But David was
friends with Yael Evelev, the head of David Byrne's record label, Luaka Bop. And
Evelev got Natalie Merchant to come to the memorial and sing the song, which she
had no association with whatsoever. I thought, and still do, that it was
enormously generous of her.

- Jesse