From: tv-owner@obbard.com [mailto:tv-owner@obbard.com] On Behalf Of Bob
Beatty
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 6:15 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Not so familiar Verlaine favourites

Re. both albums, I agree. The Dream Syndicate's "Days of Wine & Roses" is
excellent. Btw, Is it just coincidence Steve Wynn & Tom Verlaine both played
Jazzmasters, or that I think I can hear a little Television (as well as
Velvet
Underground)  influence in the band? Maybe not coincidence!  Wynn even name
checks Tom during a July 24, 1982 recording from The Country Club, L.A.
show.
In between songs, he says "We saw Tom Verlaine last night [in San Diego].He
was real good. So, it's been fun."
I must check out Phil's rec. of  "Live at Raji's".

All  the recorded bands David Roback's been in, Mazzy Star, Clay Allison,
Opal, & Rain Parade are among my faves, & I much like his guitar playing,
especially slide.
And he seems to have had a talent for recruiting & inspiring first rate
female singers to write with & work with, first Kendra Smith in Clay
Allison/Opal after she left Dream Syndicate as bass player & occasional
singer, then Hope Sandoval in post-Kendra Opal, & Mazzy Star.
Roback also  put together a worthwhile album project in 1984, "Rainy Day",
gathering together musicians & singers from a number of Paisley Underground
bands: Rain Parade, The Dream Syndicate, The Three O'Clock, The Bangles, to
record an L.P. of covers of favourite, mostly 1960s, songs; an album I like
a lot.