Re: (TV) Leave Hell out please, and de-emphasize the punk-rock NYC scene, concentrate on the 331/3 rpm album itself

And that "look" was certainly appropriated by the London scene.

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ <russvr@gmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Wed, Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am
Subject: Re: (TV) Leave Hell out please, and de-emphasize the punk-rock NYC
scene, concentrate on the 331/3 rpm album itself

In addition, the early Television "look"  - the chopped hair, ragged

clothes, torn t-shirt - all inspired by Verlaine/Hell heroes

Rimbaud/Paul Verlaine - was an aspiration to look bohemian and was

mistaken by the media as being "punk".

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Russ <russvr@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is not too far off track to say that Television - went

> through sort of a "punk" stage early on . I cite the song "Double

> Exposure"

> -  a mean snarly ditty, full of aggression and snottiness. Are not

> those "punk" attributes. It's counting angel on the head of a pin

> though when you get down to it.

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM,  <heathbiter@aol.com> wrote:

>>  Interesting thoughts Leo.

>> I am definitely curious to read the 33 1/3 book.  A lot of the 33 1/3s
I've

>> read have been very personal and impressionistic, and rarely a dead on

>> dissection of an individual album.  I imagine Hell's archives could
certainly

>> provide some insight to a a time and place that were crucial building
blocks

>> in the creation of Marquee Moon.  Even if the book is a dead on analysis
of

>> the album, Hell can probably provide some info on the genesis of several
of

>> the songs.  Not to mention some insight into some relevant characters who
are

>> usually tight-lipped or have selective memory.

>> As far as "punk rock"...  I think that label can be pretty subjective.  (I

>> once googled "the original punk" and the results were hilarious!)  Saying

>> like 70's NY punk usually makes it pretty clear to people what I listen
to.

>> To me it's an umbrella that covers a scene/movement and a lot of very
diverse

>> bands.  Television will always be linked to punk rock for a lot of
reasons.

>> Heath

>>> 1970s. The author relied heavily on the papers Hell sold to

>>> NYU a few years ago;

>>> I believe this will be the first Television-related book to

>>> make use of that

>>> archive. Should be interesting!

>> I guess my serious concern is that a book on the album Marquee Moon should

>> really have nothing

>> in it at all about Richard Hell.  He didn't play one note on it, nor write

any

>> of its songs.

>> He was gone by late March - early April 1975 from Television.

>> If this author uses Hell's archives as filler at the expense of an analysis

of

>> the album itself

>> he will be a lazy &!!!*$#@%!

>> Also:  Television 1976-78 were not a punk-rock band, and the album Marquee

>> Moon

>> had/has nothing

>> to do with punk-rock,  So, if the author spends a lot of time looking back
at

>> the punk-rock

>> scene in NYC he will have missed the boat (made out of ocean). (Yeah I

>> know....

>> Television

>> shared the bill with punk-rock bands ... so what.)

>> I'm sure I'll get a lot of disagreement on the above, but the onus is on
you

>> prove that

>> Verlaine's songs, lyrics, melodies, ideas, guitar solos!!, and
song-lengths

>> have

>> anything to

>> with punk-rock.  Maybe if someone asked me on a warm Tuesday in February

>> underneath a marquee

>> moon on Cornelia Street I might say 'See No Evil'  is somewhat in the

>> punk-rock

>> vein given its

>> very fast tempo, but even 'See No Evil' 's lyrics are
poetic/impressionistic