Re: Full of it / RE: (TV) Sour Grapes / Alternate Ver of Television's Founding?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Murray Ramone <murrayramone@hotmail.com>wrote:

> for me television are bigger than the sum of their parts, they bring out
> the
> best in each other.
> I'd like to hear an album with Jimmy Ripp on it, but my expectations are
> low.
> Not because he's a bad guitarist or anything, just because he's a
> "musician"
> and he's playing television style rather than just playing (as in having
> fun,
> being playful)

Maybe... but judging from the evidence at hand, he's having more fun than
Richard was for quite some time, and the other guys seem to be as well.
 Actually, Jimmy has played with Tom enough that I don't think you can just
say he plays "Television style"; he has his own unique rapport with Tom.
 It's just not as much on display when the set consists mostly of Television
material.  If T4 comes out and they tour behind it, we'll soo more of Jimmy
being Jimmy.  (I would prefer to see the new band sub in a few choice Tom
solo songs, like "Clear It Away" or "Walker", instead of the millionth
airing of "Friction", but that's probably just me).

> Lloyd is one of these rare things - a guy who can play in any style, but
> can
> still sound like himself

Agreed, that being why he's one of the few "utility" players to make my top
guitarists list.  Maybe Quine qualifies as well; I'd have to think about
that.