Re: Full of it / RE: (TV) Sour Grapes / Alternate Ver of Television's Founding?

Wow, I was away from e-mail over the weekend and returned this morning to some
fascinating reading -- thanks folks, esp. Rex for chiming in.  I have tried to
explain my take on how the Verlaine/Lloyd thing exists in my head, and the
best summary I can give is that while I find Richard to be a craftsman of the
highest order, I have always found Tom to be the more otherworldly as an
artist, in that I can't always recognize where his inspiration comes from,
which makes him the more fascinating to me. Mind you, I'm not sure that I
haven't commingled Tom's enigmatic off-stage existence to my own perception of
his music, whereas Richard is, as others have pointed out, more of an open
book, often to his detriment. Not much mystery there. Now, having said that,
the best live performances I have ever seen from either of these men (and I
only go back to 1992) have been each of the times I saw Richard playing not
with TV, but with Rocket From the Tombs, while each time I have seen Tom solo,
I have been rendered impatient by his dithering and usually repaired to the
bar...