(TV) A new focus for the TV mailing list

It's a new year and I think we need to start fresh.
Tom and co. have really done nothing new (other than 3
or 4 new songs played at limited engagements) and
doubtfully will do nothing new in 2005.

People, it is time for us to move on.  we have done
all we can do, talked all we can talk, and typed all
we can type about Verlaine and his merry band of
travelers.  Sure they got one line in Dec Spin
(comparing Pavements guitarists to Verlaine and LLoyd
in a review of the most excellent reissue Crooked
Rain, Crooked Rain) but is it really newsworthy?

Time to throw off the chains, our survival as a group
depends upon having fresh material therefore I elect
that we nominate new bands to be the focus of the
discussion and evolve, move on, survive...like the
group in Lost that moved to the water.  And besides,
our #1 government worker needs new interviews to type
at work on the US Govt's dime.

There does need to be rules and the band needs to
satisfy 8 of 10 rules

1. It must be a band to give Keith the opportunity to
hate the front man / woman and cheer on the oppressed
band mates

2.  The band must be anti-eagles in spirit to satisfy
our moderator

3. The said band must be actively releasing cd's, lp's
whatever and tour.

4.  The said band must have longevity attached (i.e.
not Harvey Danger though they are more active then TV)

5.  The band must not appeal to the masses so we can
maintain our exclusivity and unspoken rule of snobbery
that truly binds us.

6.  But the band must be popular enough to get
mentions in the press, especially by top forty dimwits
who don't get it and cool icons who do

7. It must allow Jay to send cryptic e-mail
attachments where you have to stretch to make the
connection

8. The band needs a Secret X connection.  Face it
y'all, we miss her and want her back.

9.  It can't be a listers band that has been
shamelessly promoted on this list (i.e Murray, Andy,
Joss or www.mp3.com.au/gregorygrant )

10. It cannot be REM (Michael Stipe is way more
annoying than Bono, far more plus he's stupid and he
pulls down his pants to often, what he has to offer
can be seen at anytime of day in a rest home near
you), have dead musicians, Morrisey (20 bucks for the
Quarry, I am so ever pissed off as the cd is awful,
bad, rotten) , PHish (they will reform), Flaming Lips
(see Morrisey), Madonna, Avril (or anything produced
by the Matrix) why, because I feel strongly about
these groups, may as well throw in Travis and Dinosaur
Jr (see Morrisey and flaming Lips), and what the hell
- they cannot have been active in the 50's, 60's or
70's, well mabye the 70's, use discretion - not
Journey (though I have the greatest hits and it is a
fine album), not Sweet either (see archives Keioth and
I discussed this once, only Keith and I I believe),
not the Pixies since they have gone far to main
stream.

I have 3 nominees:

U2, yes they are popular but we speak of them so often
they are outpacing TV material.

Jandek - He's out of the closet and has released four
albums this year.  He's in December's Spin and if I
look hard, I may still have the 1985 copy of Spin he
was interviewed in and the Jandek mailing list does
not have that...HA, giving us instant snobbery and
know-it-allism over them.  Plus it will be fun making
Maurice decide between them or us.

Destiny's Child: Keith and I are already feuding on
this list so it would be a natural progression,
especially when they break up and we can fight about
the better solo albums.

Who else, don't be scared :-)

greg