Re: Full of it / RE: (TV) Sour Grapes / Alternate Ver of Television's Founding?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Emilie <emilie.t.hsu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think another way to think about what Richard wrote is to think
> about how much Richard seems to be obsessed with his concept of
> "intention."
> In his mind, I think he actually believes that he created everything
> based on his intention alone.  He is extraordinarily attached to this
> concept of "intention" -- which has always sounded like magical
> thinking to me.  And to suggest anything else to Richard is tantamount
> to attack the very foundation of his belief.

There might be something to that, sure.  He might feel like he was really
out to create something at the point in time when Television coalesces,
something musically new related to his prowess as a guitarist, and something
new and incredible did happen.  He might miss the point that it was only the
very specific abilities and vision of other people that allowed that
*specific* thing to happen.  He could not have willed Marquee Moon into
existence on his own.  Even if he did "find" Tom and prod him into activity,
it's not like that record wrote itself.

But you can also see there a pretty good example of how Richard's attempts
to score points contradict themselves so often.  One moment it's all Richard
who put the band together, because that characterizes Tom as lazy and bereft
of initiative.  Then next minute Richard characterizes himself as the "organ
grinder" at the mercy of Tom, his greedy, manipulative monkey.  Tom is
always the bad guy in the story, but the reasons for his badness and the
ways in which it expresses itself vary so wildly from example to example
that it's hard to believe even Richard doesn't notice the inconsistency.
 But I think that's typical of a very specific form of delusional
self-involvement.  I wasn't kidding when I said I was once unfortunately
married to it.