Re: (TV) Re: new tangent!

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:28 AM, eRacerX <eracerx@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have a similar experience to a lot of people on this list, in that I grew
> up
> in the 70's (in NY, which certainly had an influence)on Dylan, Creedence,
> Stones, Neil, etc. and then found Iggy, the Dolls, Patti, TV,
> Heartbreakers, and
> the rest of the DIY downtown underground punk new wave scene. That music
> made me
> buy a guitar.

I'm probably a relative youngster here (at, yipes, 40) but it still plays
out similarly.  My high school years were the late '80s when, at least in
small towns like mine, most kids were into Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, etc.
 Not being into that, at first I sort of divided my attention between the
psych and '60s side of "classic rock" (avoiding the bands who sort of
sounded like the hair bands I just mentioned) and "college rock".  The first
two bands I really liked were Talking Heads and R.E.M., and if you read
interviews and bios of them you would learn about the Velvets and Patti and
Television (forgive me for this) "NYC punk", so, maybe oddly, in 1988 or so
most of what I listened to was NY stuff from the late '70s and that's been
my primary influence and inspiration as a musician ever since.

> Thanks for the new song lyrics, Rex.  :)
> "Woman, I am going to fuck you very proficiently with my large penis for
> a long period of time, just as soon as I get done yowling about how great
> it's going to be for five minutes"
>   - band practice tonight, so I'll see how the rest of the guys feel about
> it.

Any time!

-Rex